David Neiwert (@DavidNeiwert) – an expert on orcas and America’s Alt-Right – talks orcas, empathy and why fighting for whales still matters in the Age of Trump. Neiwert is the author of Of Orcas and Men: What Killer Whales Can Teach Us & Alt-America: The Rise of the Radical Right in the Age of Trump).
“The fight against Trump and against hate groups and against the far radical right is very much the same fight that I’m engaged with when it comes to saving whales, which is the fight to decide what kind of humans we are going to be.”
Skaana podcasts connect you to news and experts and their discussions about orcas, oceans and the environment.
You can use the affiliate links below to support the pod.
Join the Pod……https://www.patreon.com/mobydoll
The Killer Whale Who Changed the World…. http://amzn.to/2pRNU1q
Making Waves with David Neiwert
Check out our YouTube playlist of videos related to this Podcast Episode:
- Neiwert discusses the Aryan Nations and the alt-right (9:48)
- How orcas and Trump are interconnected (16:30)
- Common mistakes young anti-fascists make (18:17)
- Wisdom gleaned from US Senator, Frank Church while out fishing (18:30)
- Why we shouldn’t dehumanize the alt-right (19:10)
- Neiwert takes on hate groups (21:09)
- Neiwert witnesses a man being shot at the University of Washington during a Milo Yiannopoulos protest (21:55)
- How the four lower Snake River dams are affecting the salmon population (26:19)
- Neiwert explains how “humans are really stupid orcas” (43:22)
- How to cope when the world is on fire (1:06:11)
“Killer whales are the consummate northwest environmental story.” (6:08)
“…how you deal with the alt-right… you can’t pretend them away. You can’t ignore them away.” (10:56)
“To me the fight against Trump and against hate groups and against the far radical right is very much the same fight that I’m engaged with when it comes to saving the whales – which is the fight to decide what kind of humans we’re gong to be. What kind of world are we going to make? Are we going to be empathetic, decent, kind generous human beings or are we going to be cruel and greedy and mean?” (17:17)
“You can’t go out and change anybody’s hearts and minds to get them to become a more decent person by spewing have and wishing death on others.” (20:30)
“They will go extinct if we don’t take those dams down.” (37:30)
- Four Lower Snake River Dams
- Aryan Nations
- Milo Protest at the University of Washington
- Ingrid Visser
- Alexandra Morton
Support David Neiwert
Official Website: http://dneiwert.blogspot.com
Southern Poverty Law Center: https://www.splcenter.org
Books on Amazon
**Amazon links are affiliate links and support our podcast, thanks for clicking!